Combat Teeth Grinding & Clenching with Expert Care in Burlington, ON
Understanding Teeth Grinding & Clenching
Teeth grinding and clenching, also known as bruxism, can lead to a range of dental and jaw issues. These conditions not only affect your teeth but can also result in damage to your gums, temporomandibular joint (TMJ), and jaw.
Recognizing Common Symptoms
Detecting the symptoms of teeth grinding and clenching is crucial in addressing the issue before it worsens. Working alongside our experienced dentists, you can identify underlying causes and develop tailored solutions to correct these problems.
Consequences of Teeth Grinding & Clenching
Left untreated, teeth grinding and clenching can lead to various dental problems, including:
- Tooth Sensitivity: Persistent grinding and clenching can result in tooth sensitivity and discomfort.
- Tooth Decay: The constant pressure can contribute to tooth decay and damage.
- Tooth Discolouration: Bruxism may cause tooth discolouration and premature aging of teeth.
- Tooth Damage: The excessive force can lead to chipped or damaged teeth.
- Jaw Pain: Chronic grinding and clenching can cause jaw pain and damage to the temporomandibular joint.
TMJ and Jaw Disorders
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) connects your jaw to your skull, enabling essential movements like chewing and speaking. Issues with this joint can lead to TMJ disorders, characterized by symptoms such as pain, tenderness, clicking sounds, and difficulty in chewing.
Common Symptoms include:
- Pain or tenderness in your face and jaw area when you chew, speak or open your mouth wide
- Jaws that get “stuck” or “locked” in the open or closed position
- Clicking, popping or grating sounds when you open or close your mouth or chew
- A tired feeling in your face
- Trouble chewing as if the upper and lower teeth are not fitting together properly
- Swelling on the side of your face
- Chipped or worn teeth
Personalized Solutions for Relief
At Maple & Mapleview Dental, we offer a range of personalized solutions to combat teeth grinding and clenching:
- Dental Night Guards: Custom-made night guards protect your teeth and gums by preventing grinding during sleep.
- Mandibular Advancement Devices: Custom devices, especially useful for sleep apnea, promote proper jaw positioning.
- Invisalign for Bite Correction: Teeth realignment with Invisalign can correct bite issues contributing to bruxism.
- Botox Treatment: Botox can relax muscles, providing relief and preventing further pain.
Book Your Consultation Today!
Ready to put an end to the damaging effects of teeth grinding and clenching? Book an appointment with Maple & Mapleview Dental today. Our dedicated team is eager to provide you with personalized solutions that alleviate discomfort and ensure your optimal oral health. Take the first step towards a healthier, pain-free future – book your appointment now!